John Thomas

wrote in news:1109716152.594224.282290
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I haven't priced them on eBay recently so I dunno what the going rate
is for a user. Chipped japaning has no effect on useablity and old
is good in terms fo fit and function. Typically an old block plane
will require less fettling than a new one to get it useable condition.
I like restoring planes so maybe that is what makes the difference
to me.

I'll agree that you can't go wrong with LN or LV though, and the plane
will be useable or at most require a slight honing to the blade
right out of the box.

I'm a cheap bastuhd; here's my two cents worth:

For bench planes, I've bought all of mine off of ebay; other than a
gorgeous #4, haven't paid more than about $40, but it's been a while. I
can't really see paying ~$200 when you can get something quite
serviceable for quite a lot less.

I've also got a couple of older Stanley blocks -- a 220, and 60 1/2 --
both were ok, and I didn't pay a lot for either one, maybe $30 at the
most.

I've also got the low-angle LV block. Bang-for-the buck, this one's a
no-brainer. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and forgo the Stanley's.
"Only" ~$100, but you can make shavings with it right out of the box.
(get the chamfering attachment, if you go this route; it works really
well, and you'll learn all about reading grain. DAMHIKT.)

I don't mind fettling at all -- it's a part of the price of acquisition.
But I'd still forgo the Stanley block planes ...

(No affliation with LV, other than as a well satisfied customer ...)
Regards,
JT