John Stumbles

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:54:56 -0800, bigcat wrote:

A diamond bladed angle grinder is useful and make much less CI

dust

and

sparks.

having used diamond to cut ferrous, I found it almost useless. I

was

told the diamonds react with the iron and dissolve into it, making
diamond discs ineffective on iron and steel. And in fact, hardening

the

steel a bit in the process.

I have a diamond disc (Screwfix 71994) which is going strong after

almost

a year say one job (some big some small per week average). I know it

cuts

through CI. If there is something better let me know but I know it is

lot better than ordinary resin/abrasive cutting discs.

You got me wondering now. I was using a toolstation diamond disc to cut
hss, and it was hopeless. Switched to screwfix cheap grit disc, that
worked no prob. Thats really all I know... maybe I should look at that
scrwefix blade. Toolstation ones are a lot cheaper, and work A1 on
concrete. Or perhaps its the CI vs HSS difference? No idea.

I'd guess the latter: HSS is what you make tools out of for cutting
metals including steel, CI's what shatters if you whack it :-)