Dave Hinz

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:47:51 GMT, mcgyver wrote:
5/4 x 6" yellow cedar boards Approx 600ft2 deck. will have a 3/16" gap
between boards. I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach them to the
joists. I refuse to face nail/screw for the sheer fact that I hate to look
at screw heads ect. I'm thinking of predrilling and toenailing down on a 45
between the boards and then using either screws or spiral nails (stainless
of course) anyone have any other ideas that i haven't thought of?
Pictures? thanks

I think tonailing through the edge of a 5/4" board will give you lots
of splits and "daisies". I saw on some home improvement show, a system
of galvanized brackets that sit on top of the joists; you screw up through
them and into the bottom of the deck boards. Similar to a joist hanger
type idea. I can't recall the vendor, but it might have been "Hometime"
or "This old house" (with Nahm and Steve if that helps date it).

That said, I pre-drilled and face-screwed mine, and as long as you take
care to not have them wander all over the map, they're neither all that
objectionable, or even noticable. In any case, consider square drive
screws to avoid cam-out and the associated metal burrs and swearing.

Dave Hinz