Clint

I think this is the first comparison I've seen between the General line and
the "low-end" of the Delta line. And keep in mind that General is different
than General International...

To the Original Poster:

For Canadian vendor's, you can check out:

www.federatedtool.com
www.houseoftools.com
www.busybeetools.com

House of Tools and Busy Bee Tools have their own "house" brands.
Approximately equivalent to Grizzley, from what I can tell. But you'll
never see a review of those brands, since they're not really sold in the
States. You can check out http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/ for a Canadian
magazine discussion forum, where you might get more input on the Canadian
tools. For that matter, I think there are products in the Delta line that
are only sold in Canada (or just in the US, for that matter).

Anyway, if it was up to me (and this is what I did), I'd pick a project, and
say "What tool(s) do I need to do this project?". Then buy what you need,
of at least mid-range price (and hopefully quality). I would think the
Shopmaster series would be more focussed on the low-end, so I'd shy away
from them for anything that you intend to use on a regular basis. For
example, if you're going to by a cordless drill, you'll probably be using it
on almost every project (at least, I do). So I'd invest the money in a
Porter Cable, or DeWalt, or whatever, rather than a cheap Delta Shopmaster
drill. Thinking about what I just typed, though, I guess if it's something
I wasn't going to use on a regular basis, I'd try to figure out a way to do
it with what I have already. So I'd be reluctant to buy something on the
low end unless it was a specialized project that I wasn't going to need that
functionality again. And in that case, I'd probably try to rent or borrow
it from somewhere first...

Anyway, enough rambling... Good luck with your purchases!

Clint

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
Justa Beginner wrote:
Hi everyone, been lurking around for week or so now trying to get the

gist
of the group. Anyhow the wife has given me the go ahead to start buying
some woodworking tools for my new hobby. For the last 10 years or so

have
not been able to do much physical work because of some illnesses but

within
the last year I have been doing quite well. So now with the signing of

new contract at work I will be getting a few thousand dollars in back

pay
which wife is allowing me to spend on my new hobby. Was looking at
outfitting my entire shop. Table saw, jointer, planer. dust collection,
band saw, drill press, dust collection, some air tools and a multitude

of
hand tools, ie, biscuit joiner, drills, sanders, circular saw, jig saw,
clamps, router, etc. I've worked as a carpenter for a number of years

when
i was younger so I have a pretty good idea of safety, how to use tools

and
what the different tools can be used for and not be used for. Now sinse

do not have a whole lot of money to go out and buy top of line tools I

have
been looking at the Delta Shopmaster line and thats pretty much the
direction I am leaning to. Where I live in Canada, norwestern ontario,
there are not alot of options as to where and what brands of tools I can
purchase and see before purchasing but have seen Delta tools at a few
places. My projects are not going to too detailed to start with. The

wife
wants a new garbage can and maybe some toyboxes for the kids, and maybe

new tv stand for the rec room. Anyways was just wondering what you

folks
thought of the Delta Shopmaster line of power tools. Good? Bad? or just
useless? Thanks in advance for any insight or comments and sorry for

the
longish post.

Look at King and General - same as low end of Delta lines etc and
typically less money. Easy to get in Canada.

http://kingcanada.com/Products.htm?NL=1
King industrial is better....

The links on my web page might help
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/linksbusiness.htm

Home Page .. where you can find the shop...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/index.html

And you can find "The Shop" page directly from here...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/i...shop/shop.html