Bill R

"Millers" wrote in message
Bill R wrote:
I bought a book 'Turning Green Wood' by Michael O'Donnell. In it he

explains
reaction wood in branches, he says:

"Hardwood in the northern hemisphere build the reation wood on the

tension
side of the pith, which gives rise to growth rings in branches being

wider
on the tension side (the upper side) than on the compression side. In

the
southern hemisphere this is reversed."

I vaguely recall that Hoadley says something similar but it was
concerning hardwood v softwood rather than hemispheres. Too late to
look it up at the moment. That ring a bell w/anyone?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

The chapter in the book also goes on to say that the size of the growth
rings of softwood are opposite to that of hardwood and also reverse in the
southern hemispere.

This may mean that in the southern hemispere the meaning of soft and hard
may be reversed.

No - this is starting to make my head hurt.

BillR