George

"Kip" wrote in message
ps.com...
I read the same article. Also recall a quote from Mark Lindquist to
the effect that mankind has been making vases for several thousand
years and that it is unlikely that one would be able to come up with a
completely new design. The point, IMHO, is to avoid essentially carbon
copying pieces

Browsing at my used book store yesterday and ran across a book called _500
Bowls_ or similar. I started thumbing through it, and there was the
spitting image of one of my weird cherry 4-legged bowls. Only difference
was the finial, really. Fortunately, the piece was made about the same time
as mine, or so it would seem.

Daughter was with me, and when I told her to look, she recognized it
immediately. "It's just as ugly as the one _you_ made."

Then while I was protesting, she slipped her books on my stack. Forty bucks
became sixty....