Proctologically Violated©®

"Pete Snell" wrote in message

This is a dumb question, but what are the relative advantages of
4-Flute vs. 2-Flute end mills, and on what applications should one type
be chosen over the other?

Harry C.

2 flute can plunge cut, 4 flute cannot.

Pete,
Not quite correct.
4-flutes come in "center cutting" and non-center-cutting varieties.
Center-cutting 4 flutes plunge readily. May not have quite the chip
ejection as 2 flutes, but they still plunge very well--may have to peck
more.
Altho I never thought of it, I realize now I've never seen a
non-center-cutting 2-flute!
FWIC, I don't think there is that great a price diff between 4 fl center
cut/non-center cut.

You can also get better finishes w/ a 4 flute, as you are getting more cuts
per rotation.

They also have 3-flute cutters, center/non-center also, I believe. Think
I've also seen 6 flute.
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw