Rex B

I need some help pricing a lathe that I have to sell. It is a 10"X36"
Rockwell. It has been used, but certainly not abused and it comes with
all the basic accessories plus a bunch of extras. I believe that the
model is 25-42X. That is what is listed on the back of the bed. I have
no idea how to price this thing. I checked out what has been selling
on eBay, but I couldn't find anything comparable. It seems like the
individual chucks and other extra parts alone are worth around $1000 if
sold by themselves. Is this a case where I could get more by parting
the lathe out than I would selling the whole package? Where do I start
on price?

I have been looking at Rockwells myself.
Seems like they go for less money than a comparable Atlas or Logan. They
appear to be comparable in quality to a Logan, but much better made than
an Atlas (but what isn't?.
A lot of them came out of school shop programs, so there were a lot of
them dumped on the market in the latter part of the previous century
(Gee, that sounds odd). Parts are allegably scarce and expensive.
I turned one down locally for $500 (I offered $400) but I'm about ready
to go back and get it. It was neglected and had little tooling, but was
working and had a taper attachment. Asking price was $700.
The 11x36 variant is more common and commands slightly higher prices.

From your description, I'd probably offer $500 - $600 to start, and try
to buy it for $800 or less.

--
- -