Dennis van Dam

In article , "Rick R"
wrote:

"Dennis van Dam" wrote in message
Is there an appreciable difference in quality between the 2" import boring
head typically available on eBay $60 "Buy It Now" auctions and the 2"
import boring head set available from MSC for $160?

You get what you pay for.

Words to buy by.

Look on ebay for a used Criterion brand. $60.00 is
About the going rate.

More like $100 for just the head. But as you say probably worth it.

I've used an import head and was satisfied with it. I guess what I was
after finding out is while there are import heads that will work well
enough for infrequent hobby use, are there also import heads that are
total crap? I'm guessing there is, the problem is the import heads
don't come with brand names so how does one tell one import brand from
another in advance of the purchase? Probably the best you can do Is go
by country of manufacture but that would hardly be an absolute indicator
and again is not a published fact in advance of the purchase out of a
catalogue or off of eBay.

As I indicated in my last post I got tired of trying to figure it out and
dropped the bucks on an eBay auction for a 3" Criterion complete with
boring bars and accesories. (Where IS that UPS truck!)

Rick, thanks for the reply.

Dennis

I'm guessing it depends where the head is imported from. The "buy it
now" is Chinese the MSC import is unknown.

My applications are home hobby general purpose infrequent use.

Also what are the considerations in choosing between M-35 cobalt and C-6
carbide boring bar sets?

Cobalt good for Aluminum.

C6 good for steel.

RR