Cicero

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello

Our house has a steel framed, spiral (well, helical actually)
staircase. At four or five points (generally underneath the treads,
which can be removed) the frame has snapped.

My question is .... is this the sort of thing it is generally possible
to weld 'in place', or does it sound as if the stairs will have to be
dismantled, taken somewhere off-site, welded, then reinstalled?

The wooden stairs can be removed easily enough, leaving just the frame,
but the stairs are in the corner of the room, which is why I'm
suspecting the welding will have to take place elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Are you sure the broken pieces are steel? They may be cast iron in which
case they will probably need to be removed for repair. If they really are
steel then repair 'in situ' should be straightforward provided that you can
protect the surrounding area from damage such as 'spatter' etc.

Cic.