Mesh tape is avoided by most pros as it needs 'perfectly' clean surfaces to
adhere and not much drywall mud goes into clinical labs.
Use paper tape and a fast setting compound mixed @50% with standard
compound. Usually a durabond 90 mixed with mud gives best results with
wetted paper tape.
"Steve Manes" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:12:57 -0700, "xrongor"
wrote:

in the future, press harder when you mud. you should see mud squirting

out
from under the tape. dont be fooled by fiberglass tape. it has its own
issues, and is particularly bad when used for inside corners.

Too true. Actually, it can be worse. The mastic holding the threads
together can fail during the initial coat and can leave threads
popping up at the ends. I use mesh tape for repairing plaster cracks,
where I want a little more bonding strength but rarely on drywall.

Actually, I ran out of paper tape on a renovation job I'm doing and
used mesh tape on the remaining drywall. It worked well but I also
used a 16" squegee(sp?) to lay the second (final) coat so it was wall
bedded.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs