calhoun

Most therma tru doors have 2 1/4" brick mold same as most other doors. Yours
must be special ordered with the larger trim? Any way a few solutions:
You can just remove the trim, install the door, and cut down the new trim or
reuse the old trim.
You could also remove the trim, install door, and then cut back siding and
reinstall new wider trim.
You can leave the new door intact and cut back siding first. Just lay out
level lines, the size of the complete door unit, from the RO center and cut.
New door will fit into this new opening and be level. This is the best way
IMHO.
The problem I always have with therma tru is they are 1/2" taller then most
other doors.

"John" wrote in message
news
Hi everyone, I'm about to replace an exterior door with a pre-hung Therma
Tru door. One thing I'm not quite sure about is the trim on the outside of
the new door. The old (current) door has thin ~ 2 inch outside trim that
the
painted clap board siding buts up against. The new door has much wider
outside trim.

What's the best way to deal with the clap-board siding? I was thinking I
might be able to nail back the siding, then use a circular saw to cut away
the couple of inches of siding needed to fit the new door & trim. Trouble
is, I won't know the exact placment of the door until it's in place,
leveled
& shimmed.

Now that I think about it, I might be able to remove the trim from the new
door for the install, the replace after I cut back the siding? I hope the
trim comes off. Sometimes this stuff is glued and staped so much that both
sides get wreaked trying to remove just the outside trim.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've never replaced a hung door before.

-John