Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Jen"
wrote:

Hi, my husband has given me the awful job of taken off the tile adhesive
from the back of ceramic tiles.

I've done this before, but only for valuable tiles like Victorian
encaustics, or for the decoratives inset into a cast iron fireplace.
For plain old wall tiles where you _can_ just buy more of them, then
don't be so silly.

Remove the adhesive by soaking it for a few days in slightly acidified
water. Then use a Plasplugs "tile file" (an open mesh, not a solid
bar - coupel of quid from B&Q) to remove the softened adhesive.

Don't use any concentrated acid. If they're anywhere near old enough
to be worth recycling, then there's a risk that existing and invisible
crazing on the surface will light up in glorious Technigrimecolour if
you do.

If they've been laid on bitumen, then &deity; help you. I used
cyclohexane and _gentle_ warmth. Knowing how flammable cyclohexane is
will tell you how hard work this was.
--
Smert' spamionam