Dick Snyder

Speaking of sharpening, I have done a little research on this too and have
some more questions. I see devices to hold the steel blade for sharpening,
another device to hold it at a different angle for honing, and sets of 3
stones for sharpening. Does this sound right? The price of all that stuff is
more than the plane in some cases...........

"AAvK" wrote in message news:wNLUd.19$Ke.6@fed1read03...

I mulled over this descision for quite a while, constantly looking
at low angle block planes for a few months. I discovered all options
and prices, small and large, eBay is always loaded with them from
all makers but to get a decent Stanley 60 1/2 used is too much con-
sidering the condition, lots of japanning chipped off, and "just old",
you might need a new $30 blade as well so why pay $50-$60 for
that plane, after all the bidding and waiting PLUS shipping???
Forget it.

So, I decided upon a Lee Valley Veritas low angle block plane, brand
new, very heavy and well made including a thick A2 steel blade for
$99, and no way have I regreted it. The body is of ductile iron which
will not crack from dropping and has nice brass parts that are precision
machined.

Also, the A2 blade will hold an edge longer, and is a little harder to
sharpen. I did it the other night and it was a bit harder but nothing
that would deter me from buying A2 in the future. This plane has a
1/4" wider blade than the Lie-Nielson blade, which is not "traditional",
and has a blade skewer that LN also does not have, and it is $51 more.

Anyway, good luck in your decision,

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com