Nobody

Thanks for the info. Comments / Questions inlined.

wrote in message
oups.com...
1) If it were up to me I would not touch the bathrooms til the rest of
the projects were done.

Well, I just had a pocket door installed and some french doors as well.
Other projects I have in mind would be refacing the kitchen cabinets,
granite countertops and crown molding. I was kind of planning to do things
"from the floor up". But seems like this tile flooring and bathtub/shower
needs to be done all at the same time.

I could do the downstairs first and then the upstairs later, but I was
concerned about being able to match the tile, so I would have to buy all the
material, but just not install the upstairs til later to split the cost.
That is another option.

But as I said, with tumbled travertine, material / labor is split about
50/50 and ends up at about $10 to $12/sq ft installed.

Just seems like a shame to have traventine, granite counters and then the
plastic tub liners.

3) I wondered about that even for the downstairs bath floor - is
travertine vitreous (having a continuous waterproof glassy surface ?)

tumbled travertine is a natural porous stone that has a weathered natural
appereance. It is usually finished by filling all the holes with grout and
then applying a sealer. I am not sure if that is enough to waterproof it.

4) With any house, an assessment should be made before putting in a
Cast iron tub. They are so heavy, then full of water it's obviously
even more of a problem.

What about steel? I am not so concerned about having a cast iron tub as I am
of NOT having the plastic one. Seems like porcelin over steel is the other
option.

8) If you're gonna do it all you'd definitely want a tile person who
has done travertine, and a plumber to do the fixtures. There may be a
bit of carpentry involved too, if you select a tub requiring framing
(such as a fiberglass tub). Also someone has to do demolition.

Hmmm...... yeah, there would probably be some carpentry. And substantial
downtime for the bathrooms. That'd mean a hotel or staying with a relative.