Mark

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:12:09 -0000, "Mogweed" wrote:

I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler which gives pumped central heating and
(what I believe is termed) gravity hot water, ie, when system is set to hot
water only, the upstairs rads get warm as well.

I drained the system down today to replace a radiator (pipework needs
altering) and I'm going to take the opportunity to also put in sludge and
gunk remover, flush and finally add inhibitor. I went into the loft to tie
up the ball valve then drained the system from the lowest drain cock (which
took about 4 hours, even opening the bleed valves on the upstairs rads when
the water level ahd dropped enough).

Thing is, we now have no water coming out of the hot tap. I knew we wouldn't
have _hot_ water because there isn't any heating to heat it but I still
expected water to come from the hot tap. My missus has had the washing
machine on almost all day so that may well account for it, but that leads me
to the conclusion that the tank in the loft where I tied up the ball valve,
also feeds the domestic hot water system. Is this correct?

My original plan was (when I'm ready) to pour the sludge remover (and later
the inhibitor) into the tank in the loft but if it does, indeed, also feed
the domestic hot water then I guess that's a no-no, so just how do you get
it in there?

Do you actually have one or two header tanks in the loft? If you just
have one large tank you may have a Primatic cylinder and you cannot
use inhibitor in case your DHW gets contaminated.

Mark