John Dolan wrote:
My loft is boarded but has no light or power. To avoid having to fit

permanent connection below floorboards etc, would it be ok to - a)

run
a plug-in extension using appropriate flex from a convenient socket

in
the bedroom below, via plastic trunking inside a fitted wardrobe,
through the ceiling to the loft, where , b) a surface mounted socket
would be available for power, which would c) also power a florescent
light via a 5 amp fuse connection to this socket?

The length of extension from bedroom plug to loft socket would be 8
metres. The light flex would be 4 metres. The biggest draw on the
circuit at any time would be the light and a model railway.

This arrangement would avoid having to add further wiring to a

switch,
since lights and power could be provided by simply plugging into and
turning on the socket below. It would also mean I could remove the

lot
if I ever sell, and so not need one of these new fangled P
certificates.

Comments and thoughts gratefully received.

If you use 2.5mm T&E cable to the socket, wired in the back, and dont
bury it in thermal insulation, and fit only one double socket at the
top, it should be reg compliant. The loft light should be run via an
FCU from that, which is effectively switch plus fuse in one.

If you run 2x 2.5mm T&E up instead of one, you could connect your loft
socket up as part of the ring, and put as many sockets up there as you
want.

Note there are always ways to make the above non-compliant.

NT