brugnospamsia

"Heather" wrote in message

I bought a new ceiling light fixture and a single dimmer switch to
replace the existing fixture and single switch. I installed the dimmer
switch first which worked with the existing light fixture, no problem -
on, off, and dim. I then installed the new light fixture. The old
ceiling rose had 3 live, 3 neutral and 1 earth going into a series of
connector blocks. Since my new fixture only had 3 connections, I
twisted the old wires and connected them to the corresponding new ones
- easy, right? Power on. Light came on but dimmer switch wouldn't
dim. Turned off the light at the dimmer switch and the fuse blew.
Messed with the dimmer connections to no avail. Disconnected the new
light fixture. Now when I turn on the power, the fuse blows. I spent
last night in semi-darkness and am now contemplating calling an
electrician but would rather do this myself.

The new lamp isn't a compact fluorescent light by any chance was it ?

(and you want to trace the wires back to the terminal blocks and attach them
properly once you've made it work)

Jeremy