wanderer

Default Tree stump removal

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

I've removed two sections of well-established conifer hedge around my
place, about 8ft tall. The first time the trees were cut down and I dug
up the stumps - about 12 to 15" diameter - about a year later. It was
bl**dy hard work using typical hand tools, like a good digging spade and
fork, bushman saw and long handled pruners. It took me three days to get
six stumps out, but age ain't on my side! :-)

The second section I'd cut down and disposed of three trees, each about
15 to 18" diameter stumps, and had some tree surgeons come in to take
down the fourth and thickest tree and grind out the roots. They go down
about 18", and take out pretty much all of the stump.

Cost was £120, and it was worth every penny! I asked them to fit the
work in when they were working out my way, and I guess that helped keep
the cost down a bit

I've got some more to come down when we're ready to landscape that part
of the garden, and I won't hesitate to use tree fellers for that.