Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
news:0ayUd.15751$_G.2216@clgrps12...
snip--
Distortion at 10 volts peak output into 8 ohms: 0.05% THD. (It was
quite a project just to measure this at the time.)

I recall when a half percent distortion was noteworthy. Even today, with
tubes instead of solid state, that seems to be the standard.

While I don't understand everything I read, here's a link that will show
that Mc is now bragging about distortion level in thousandths of a
percentage point. Less than .005%, in fact, and that at their rated
output of 600 watts.

Ted and I have had this conversation more than once, and I still don't
understand the difference in output, but one thing is for sure, when
McIntosh talks about 300 watts, it's enough to create pressure levels that
are very uncomfortable.

I'd welcome the thoughts of anyone that could dispel the notion that the
amplifier at this link does not put out what they claim, and I'd be for ever
in your debt if you can tell me in *terms that I could understand* why their
claim may not be true.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/s...14&cat=Power+A
mplifiers&prodid=1028&product=MC602

Thanks for the great input. Right now I'm still thinking 10 ga, but
certainly nothing smaller. From the figures provided, it looks like

things
get right out of control with smaller than 12 gage wire.

I still think you should go for line level to the shop and an amp there.

I assume you have one of your amps to spare? That would surely make it
easier! I might even overlook my zeal for owning Mc gear. :-)

Economics drive me pretty hard, Ted. If I was to pursue my ideal setup,
I'd duplicate my entire sound system and have the second one in the shop.
When one considers that my affordable options would be to have a small radio
in the shop, my plan suddenly looks pretty good, even with its warts.
I've always had music in the shop, and realize the potential for poor
acoustics and other distractions, but my feeling is I'll be able to play the
system loud enough to overcome the noise and enjoy music to my taste, even
if it's not perfect. In fact, a lot of the music I have is recorded on 10"
reel to reel, so the quality, in spite of the fact that it is recorded on
quality gear (Crown CX 824 deck), is likely worse than the setup. The time
I can spend relaxing will be in the listening room, which will be better,
although a long ways from being engineered. As long as I can hear and
feel the music, at this point of my life, especially considering my losses
at the high end, I can't help but think I'm going to be pleased. I do
appreciate and respect your comments, though. Just wish I understood them
better.

Harold