Ted Edwards

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
Don't use solid wire for speaker audio. Most of the higher
frequency current in audio travels through 'skin effect' on the outer
layer of the copper, and fine stranded wire is a bit lower resistance
at high audio frequencies.

You can forget about skin effect at any frequency my dog can hear.

12-2 SPT-2 stranded "Malibu Light" wire. Big zip-cord.

Sounds good.

If you're going more than 50'-100' or so with the signal (like "out
to the shop") use a 70-volt amplifier system to do it, and drop it
back to 8-ohm at the far end with a speaker transformer.

That's great for typical PA systems but I have yet to see a transformer
that would meet my specs for a high quality system and I've been messing
with this stuff for more than 55 years. I was SO glad when serious
silicon was able to go direct into a speaker.

you get a distorted signal trying to push 8-ohm audio too far, from
the capacitive/inductive effects of the cable.

Yup. If the amp is in LA and the shop in NY, this is a _very_ serious
consideration. Calculate what fraction of a wavelength 100' is at 20KHz.

Ted