JerryMouse

Melissa wrote:
My dad signed a contract with a construction company several weeks
ago to have his roof replaced and some other related repairs. Half
the total was paid as deposit. The company folded due to odd
circumstances, but the owner is promising to make good on those
contracts he'd already accepted money on. He will be doing business
under a new company name, and will be working under the license and
insurance coverage of another company, so we are told. Can anyone
here give any suggestions on wording that should be added to the new
contract to protect my dad further. He is going to give this guy
another chance, otherwise he'd surely be out $5K, this way he might
be out $5K. Can wording be added suggesting a timeline for start and
finish that would affect the total cost, like a penalty for delays,
or is that a no-no? Anything else? My dad has asked that I be
present at the new contract set up and signing, as witness and to ask
any questions that might not occur to him. The new contract is to be
signed this Monday morning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Better a non-relative as a witness. Notaries make good witnesses.