Tim S

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:35:52 -0800, Rolyata wrote:

Tim S wrote:

Or heat the room to the hottest it *could* ever get in the wildest
fanstansies of summer allowing extra for the room being sunbaked with

the
windows closed (say 40C) and lay the material with no gap - but that

would
be sweaty work ;-

Does wood expand when it gets hot ?

It seems to me that in my house wood expands when it's cold & wet and
shrinks when it's hot & dry.

There are two different effects here. Wood tends to swell when wet, but it
will also expand due to temperature by a very similar amount to steel,
all other effects remaining constant. That might very well be offset by
the drying out shrinkage.

Then again, there's not much "wood" involve in laminate. So the question
is whether an MDF like substrate will expand when damp? That I don't know.

Tim