Ed Sirett

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:16:21 -0800, bigcat wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
The project for this week, is replacing a section of app.90 year old

soil
pipe, which has developed a split along its length.
We intend to replace this section with plastic pipe.
Any tips, warnings, etc on cutting and removal of the offending bit?
It's in a particularly difficult location, in a corner next to the

outside
wall, with very little space behind it.

Sheila

Wear mouth protection!!! Youre cutting a pipe lined with congealed ****
for 90 years. **** hitting the fan at 11,000 rpm has to be about the
worst job of all. Very glad I've never done it

In which case you'd know it's not as bad as all that.
The inside of the pipe tends to be rusty rather than ****ty.

The weight of the sections of CI pipe whilst not a problem on the ground
are a major hazard when several metre up a ladder.

Start at the top and make sure each section you remove is well supported
with a top rope. Aim to cut out about 1m at a go.

A diamond bladed angle grinder is useful and make much less CI dust and
sparks.