Peter Taylor

Default Single Glazed, Timber Framed Windows

Neil Jones wrote
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
I presume this is for a shed or something? It would be illegal to
install in a house, except in some specific cases.

Maybe the house is listed?

That's one of the other specific cases. However, the listed building

consent
is likely to require a bit more than finding any old window off the
internet. You probably have to spend 600 times the normal price to

have one
carved out of 600 year old wood using only a spatula by the only

person
certificated to do it, who lives in a Pacific island commune with a

ship
once a year.

Christian.

You're probably right, but for what it's worth my house is listed with
UPVC DGUs and the conservation officer intimated he'd be happy with
more-or-less any plain timber-framed single glazed units as
replacements. Of course, what he says now, and what happens if/when I
apply for LBC could be entirely different...

I can see why he said single glazed. The standard double-glazed timber windows
from the likes of Magnet and Jeld-Wen are hideous - the timber sections are even
wider than uPVC and the glass areas are minute. Over the past 20 years I've
made new single glazed softwood casement windows to match the original 1920's
windows for all the windows in my house except for the Bathroom. I used to get
standard Ovolo moulded sash sections (for single glazing) at the local timber
merchants, but when I went to buy the timber for the bathroom window I
discovered they are no longer available, thanks to the new Building Regs. I
ended up buying a standard window with sealed units, but this was a BIG
mistake - it looks totally out of keeping with all the other windows. Regs or
not, it's coming out again as soon as I can machine the timber and make a
replacement.

Peter