John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

Hitachi had some nice circular saws and the jigsaw I saw wasn't too
bad, although I wasn't able to see it powered.

I used a large Hitachi saw (about 300mm IIRC) that belonged to a friend
of mine who is a pro joiner... like most of his tools it looked like it
had been through the wars, rattling round in the back of the van,
getting trodden on, things spilt on it etc. Based on the look of it, I
was not expecting that much. Having rip cut four 4m lengths 6x2" into 16
firrings however I was well impressed! Very smooth, powerful, vibration
free, accurate cut. No unwanted flexibility in the base, good
adjustments of all the main parameters, nice balance, and handles
exactly where you want and need them. It would also cut over 3" deep
making it far more useful than those that run out at 60mm.

I have a 270mm B&D proline saw that bought many years ago which I
thought was quite good (this was their top end range before they bought
Elu and DeWalt etc), and compared to many tools at the time was actually
quite good. However the Hitachi blows it away in every respect.

--
Cheers,

John.