Rick

On 20 Feb 2005 13:49:19 -0800, "Martyn Pollard"
wrote:

I need to extend a garden by about 10ft, which currently drops down a
steep embankment to a lower level 12ft below. The width of the garden
is about 20ft.

I could just dump tons of rubble down there, but then I will end up
with a slope. I wanted to construct something which would retain the
rubble to create a steeper drop.

An initial idea was to create a retaining wall by stacking 'grab-bags'
which contained a dry mix of aggregate. I would do the mixing and

Building a retaining wall with bricks would be another idea, but I
think it would work out more expensive in terms of materials and
labour.

Any other suggestions?

I have a 1.8m retaining wall, thats part of my house, its not too
expensive

Breifly

1.2 m wide 0.3 m thick foundation with 2 steel mesh, and 12mm upright
bars, then 2 thickness of 7N blocks with the middle filled with
reinforced concrete.

I did this as a DIY project.

A strutrial engineer will design one for your site for a hudred quid
or so.

I'd guess at 2 grand total cost, assuming you DIY most of it, and site
access is good.

You could use gabions, steel cages filled with rocks. In anycase I'd
talk with an engineer. if this lot moves, you will be in deep donkey
doo-dah

Rick