Sam Goldwasser

"Russ" writes:

I read somewhere that when a IC develops a short it will start to heat up.
So I was thinking that maybe one of the new laser type of Temp probes might
help in troubleshooting. Are they sensitive enough? Can they isolate a
small 1 inch square area without picking up things close by? I talked to
one company and they said a large 12:1 or higher ration between the distance
and spot being measured is what to look for. Any particular model or ideas
a long this line?

This doesn't seem to be particulalry useful unless you have a reverence
thermal map of a working unit. Some parts run hotter than others under
normal conditions. And, what is going on in the electronics will also
affect the heat generated.

Any significant overheating will be obvious to a reasonably well calibrated
finger.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.