Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

Let's see what Ed has to say about the other one in the pic I emailed
to him. If he likes that one, send your real email addy to one of us
and we'll send a copy. (I got sick and effin' tired of fighting spam,
pukey ducks, christmas sh*t, and virii in ABPF so I don't frequent it
any longer.)

The Morris version is a much better design. You can see both the Ugly
Liberty Sideboard and the Morris Liberty Sideboard at:

http://www.cilia.org/~clarke/Craftsman

Click on the links. It's easier to compare if you use Firefox and open both
pictures in tabs, or open both in a new window with IE.

The Morris version has a unifying feature with the supports on the side
of the table and the display openings on the top shelf. These pieces seem
to be designed to go together rather than just having a random bookcase
stuck on as an afterthought.

I'm not sure, but the Ugly version seems to have the base door on the
right opening as in an oven. The hinges are on the bottom? What's that
all about?

The round bulls-eye glass in the center door on the Ugly bookcase part
do not seem to be a good feature. You can't see through the bulls-eyes
and there's no light behind them so why even use glass? The 4 over 4
glass on the Morris piece let you use the center as a display cabinet.

--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years