meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:18:54 -0500 Joey
posted:

If your house is like mine, the cutoff at the meter is the only cutoff
that you have and that special tool is something you definitely want.
They are not expensive and can be found at HomeDept or Lowes. You'll be
glad you bought one the first time you need it. Also, it would be a lot
cheaper than paying a plumber to put in a cutoff near the house.

In my area, it's not the valve that needs a special tool (well maybe
that too.) but I need a special tool to open the lid on the water
meter. In the sidewalk that parallels the road. The bolt head has 5
sides. I've never seen one for sale, afaicr.

They decided long ago not to read the meters in our n'hood, because we
would have to pay for it, and so they only read the meter that feeds
all 109 homes, and we divide the cost evenly.

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:35:12 -0800, in alt.home.repair "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

I bought a house this month and have been unable to locate a main water
shut
off other than the one in the meter (under the sidewalk) that takes a
special
tool.

The tool, often made of re-bar with a slot-head, needed to shut off the
water at the meter is cheap and readily available at hardware stores. An
ordinary adjustable wrench will also work, just turn it 90 degrees to the
pipe direction, to turn it off. There may also be a shut off valve where the
service pipe enters the house.. if you can find that. The valve should be
just outside the wall of the house.

Ok thanks.. I'll look again when it gets light.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.