Greg O

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ignoramus18224" wrote in message

How much would a good (read reliable) auto drain and a adequately
sized drier set me back?

You do not need an air dryer, unless you are painting.
Graingers auto drain, item number 4KT04, $56.80
Greg

I suspect he *will* need a dryer. You will notice he has this posted also
on a metalworking NG. If you don't dry the air properly, you will get
water out of your air guns and water into any machine tools you connect.
That was the biggest destructive force I saw in the machine tool trade.
Here's the deal. When you compress air the moiture becomes steam. Steam
cannot be filtered out so you need to bring the temperature down of the
air so it can be filtered out. And that is the basic test of an air
dryer...grab both the incoming and outgoing lines and you should see a
noticable temperature difference. The device you recommend would be fine
after the dryer......take care, Ross

Ross, I believe you are assuming here. I have never seen him indicate
ownership of any machine tools. Perhaps he does, but I don't believe so.
But I will agree, if he does have machine tools with any air controls on
them a dryer would be in order. If a person is just using hand held air
tools, a dryer is a bit over kill. Many of the air tools I own have seen
fairly constant use for 25 years with no problems. Just a few drops of oil
once in a while will keep them running fine.
Greg