Ignoramus6609 wrote:
On 25 Feb 2005 19:56:30 -0800,

wrote:
Ignoramus6609 wrote:

Thanks, good stuff. I am looking at it. The outlets are already
protected by proper electcrical circuit breakers. So, if I add a
switch in sequence to the breaker, I am not concerned about inability
of that switch to protect the circuit. It is the job of the breaker.

I think I was reacting more to zxcvbob's suggestion to use the breakers
in your subpanel as the switches:

"... use the other 20A 2-pole breaker for your compressor. ... Use the
breaker for a switch -- just switch it off when the compressor motor is
not running. "

I agree that your 40A breakers could be used as switches as long as the
breakers in the subpanel are protecting the outlets and are not used as
switches. Once you use them as switches for a 16A compressor, the 40A
"breakers-turned-switches" should not be recycled for use as breakers
in a different application because they may be compromised. At some
point they might fail to make or fail to break when you flip them off
or on, but that should not pose a safety hazard because other means of
shutoff exist.

What sort of box will house the 40A breakers?

%mod%