Don Weiner

G. Morgan wrote in
:

Subject: Garage door closes eratically
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Don Weiner = wrote:

My garage door no longer closes smoothly. When I manually close the
door, the force needed varies from almost none to quite a hefty pull.
When the garage door opener closes the door, the whole thing bucks and
shakes. I've lubricated the tracks, wheels and axels with no luck.
The door is not warped and the tracks are not bent or buckled. When
the door is full open, the springs sag about the same amount, so I'm
assuming that the tension is about the same in both springs. It seems
to hang up when the wheels are on either side of the bend in the
track.

Torsion springs or extension? What size door? Is it insulated?

By context I assume they are extension springs, so are you pulling the
door down from the center?

Don't lubricate the track - shoot some lithium grease or oil into the
rollers. Lubricating the track does nothing.

Thanx All for your suggestions. It turns out it was a bad bearing in one
of the pulleys. I replaced all 4 of them and it works fine now.