Grady

There are motor rated toggle switches (just like the light switch in your
wall to control your ceiling lights). They are more costly to buy, but they
will handle the start stop load of your compressor quite easily. Just put
one btween your breaker and you motor.

"Ignoramus6609" wrote in message
On 25 Feb 2005 19:56:30 -0800,
wrote:
Ignoramus6609 wrote:

2. I have some nice AC switches/breakers, from a big UPS, 40 amp
rated, can I install one on the compressor to serve as a power

switch?
This compressor does not have a power switch, and I would hate it to
turn itself on in the middle of the night, or during the day to
startle someone who might be in the garage. At the same time, I feel
that pulling the plug is not a good solution.

You might want to check if the "switches/breakers" are rated for switch
duty. IIRC, not all breakers can be used to reguarly switch the load on
and off; it may compromise their ability to protect the circuit.
They're meant for a more limited number of cycles than a switch would
undergo.

You might want to add another box on the end of that gang of two 240V
outlets and move one outlet into it, then use the box in the middle to
house a "real" switch in line with the outlet. One posibility is the
Cutler-Hammer B230AN, which is rated 5 hp at 240V single phase. That's
in the neighborhood of the 16A you stated.

Pages 38-32 and 38-33 of
http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsec...B03800001E.PDF

Thanks, good stuff. I am looking at it. The outlets are already
protected by proper electcrical circuit breakers. So, if I add a
switch in sequence to the breaker, I am not concerned about inability
of that switch to protect the circuit. It is the job of the breaker.