IMM

Default Methods of cooling a room

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Baxter Basics" wrote in message
. net...
he has got a point (!) Tiles will absorb radient energy from the sun and
re-radiate some of that down into the attic space. Lining the inside of

the
roof with tinfoil would reflect some of this back, and reduce convection
currents.

Whether it would make a noticable difference to the rest of the house is
another matter!

Since I am sick of renovating my kitchen I might try an experiment this
weekend

Compared to the amount of heat that is transferred into the house by

direct
thermal conduction from the (hot) tiles to the air and hence induced

thermal
convection, the amount introduced by radiant energy is small at these
temperatures.

You'll be much better off insulating between the rafters. That will stop
the loft space heating up to such a high temperature, and hence reduce
direct thermal conduction to the house below.

It is a combination of bothg radiant barrier and heavy insulation on the
loft floor. 300mm min.

---