Phisherman

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:11:43 GMT, AndyB
wrote:

I come to the oracles seeking the wisdom of the ages.

(heh)

More specifically.... I am planning on moving in a few months and I want
some advice on moving my larger stationary tools.

Can I trust a regular moving company to move power tools with precision
surfaces/mechanisms? I am most concerned about my planer, jointer,
contractor style table saw, and band saw. I also have a floor standing
drill press.

No.

Can a regular mover handle these ok?

No.

Are there special moving companies?

Not sure.

Is it really worth begging my friends to lug heavy metal for me?

Maybe.

Any and all advice appreciated. I have never done this before. Last time I
moved was BWW (before woodworking) and my tools fit in a couple of
cardboard boxes. How time flies and shops fill up.

AndyB

Use your stock to build crates and break down the large machines. For
example, when I moved I remove the cast iron wings on my table saw and
built a wooden box for each wing. The crates can be managed much
easier that way. Don't expect a moving company to take your machines
apart and crate them. Moving companies will, however, have custom
crates made at a additional charge. But I'm sure you can make your
own, and probably better built.