Morris Dovey

.... and we won't be fooled again.

All the way up until the fall of Baghdad I was very concerned
that there would be a chemical weapons attack on our troops. I
wondered, had Saddam Hussein successfully hidden weapons from
UNMOVIC until the weather forced the US to invade based on
better intel the Bush Administration had, for security
reasons, been unwilling to reveal even to UNMOVIC?

But after that I had to consider, if Saddam Hussein had not
yet used chemical weapons, why not? Surely he wasn't saving
them for the next war.

Fat lot of good they'd do him in Syria, too.

I recall the President standing in front of the TV cameras to
address the American people at the smoking ruins of the World
Trade Center making the strongest possible promise to bring those
responsible to justice - then more recently saying that the man
/most/ responsible (and still at large) wasn't all that significant.

Fooled me once.

I also recall McNeil/Lehrer NewsHour video footage of a press
conference before the invasion in which the Secretary of Defense
(referring to Iraqi chemical, biological, /and/ nuclear weapons)
stated "...and we know where they are."

Fooled me twice (shame on me?)

--
Morris Dovey