Will

Nice web site Derek. Like the turnings you have posted. Interesting bowls.

I think there must be something about the east cost that causes wood
turning. Is it a virus or a congenital condition out there? (Probably
can't be cured -- eh?)

Yeah -- I had that feeling when I was turning the spindle on my web
page. Even the small skew just didn't work for the fine stuff - so I
will take your advice to heart. It was definitely easier on the left
side (of the spindle) with the skew.

Derek Andrews wrote:
Will wrote:

I found the Two Books in one By Phil Irons has a reference to using a
Spindle Gouge (3/8 inch?)....

I use a skew for larger beads, and a spindle gouge for smaller ones.

I recommend beginners start their skew work with larger beads of at
least one inch diameter. The reason is that when you roll a bead with
the skew, the bevel has to swing through close to 90 degrees and the
handle has to make a correspondingly large movement. The difficulty
comes when this large swing has to be coordinated with a small forward
movement in a small bead. It is much easier to get the swing right if it
can be done over a longer curve.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek