axolotl

Robert Swinney wrote:

Terman's comments reflect the general premise of most of the foregoing
thread. That is: Broadcast antennas are best when they are composed of a
wire vertically mounted.

The question (or statement) as I understood it from the OP, was that if
you didn't consider the body of the car a "ground plane" (presumably at
MF frequencies) you don't know how radio signals function. I guess I
have to be among the unknowing, which is a shame since I've been
spec'ing and measuring antennas for ground vehicle and aircraft
applications for too many years.

I can't say for certain that
diversity antennas aren't used for broadcast reception, although I doubt it.

Space diversity FM broadcast antenna systems are fairly common in autos
to reduce the effects of multipath. These are generally pretty simple
systems with two antennas, with the receiver being switched to whichever
antenna has the strongest signal. The first factory supplied system that
I heard of was the Saab, about 8 or 10 years ago.

Do you miss the fun at the antenna factory?

Kevin Gallimore