Proctologically Violated©®

Yer proly going to get all kinds of great advice here, but in the more
mundane aspect, you can't live, metal-wise, w/o the $199 HF/MSC/etc import
no-name horizontal cutoff/band saw. Proly the best supportive bang fer yer
buck in the whole shop.
Also a cheapie chop saw. I think sears has'em on sale for about $59. Get
two, one w/ an abrasive wheel, one w/ carbide blade--good for wood AND lite
alum. You can fixture them up perty nice, as well, for decent accurate
cuts.

Sears power stuff is, however, absolute ****, altho you can get away w/
basic stuff like chop saws, but not even then if the work is important,
unless you stand on yer ear. Some good-looking stuff, but everygoddammthing
wobbles, shakes, bends, breaks, has non-standard parts (by effing design!),
etc.

And I've bought a lot of Sears--welders, radial arm saw, vert belt sanders,
etc. They all suck. Use the RAS quite a bit, but thank god for nothing
critical. If doing RAS, find an old ball-bearing DeWalt. Altho the Sears
head does let you cut everygoddamm angle in the world--just not
super-accurately
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Absinthe" wrote in message
news:1109337305.e55dbb01c7550376150b1a40cd9c1a83@t eranews...
I have been doing a fair amount of woodwork, and am considering doing a bit
more metalwork. Any hand tools or small machines that you love/can't live
without?

I know this is a broad question, and should probably bring about counter
response like "Depends on what you want to make." I think I just want to
be
able to do the most that I can as I learn the necessary skills. I have no
specific projects in mind, though I guess things involving bending and
shaping will be most difficult without some sort of aid.

For now, I have lots of files, a dremmel, and a bench grinder. I have been
considering either picking up a micro-mill or perhaps a cross slide vise
use on my drill press. Any advise or suggestions are welcomed.