Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeysprk
I know the old problem of noisy CH systems has been drawn out time and
time agin on here but i have read most of the other threads and have
tried most of the solutions to no avail.
PROBLEM
I have a vented ch system which seems to get air in it every few weeks
thus its quiet noisy . I have flushed, cleaned and inhibited the system
twice now .I tried some of the helpfull tips like turning the pumps
down and ensuring the header ball cock wasn't stuck , checked for leaks
,etc etc.
I now seem to have introduced another problem or it may have always
been there, now i have turned down the pump speed my boiler seems to be
kettling pretty bad, if i turn the speed up the kettling stops but the
noise from the air ingress starts to occurr again.
Is my only solution to replace the boiler , i have tried turning the
boiler to its low (it only has LO, off, high) setting but the output
isn't sufficient for the cold snaps wew are having.

any advice.
please
On the flow side of the boiler the first T which is the vent pipe tends to be in a negative pressure zone (because the pump is drawing on that area) so air cannot escape up the open vent. The trick is to make this T out of one pipe size larger, the sudden expansion of the water at that point allows the air to release. If yours is a 22mm T get a 28mm T put in. Kettling is quite normal on cast iron boilers, even from new.