Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:21:12 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

I phoned my local building control dept.
I was posing as someone who 'wanted' to do the right thing.

I did the same, which I've mentioned in detail before, so I won't repeat
it here.

Turns out after a conversation that whilst you can submit a notice
to your LABC and do the work yourself. However the fees are such that it
is financially very disadvantageous to do this.

Whilst it is true that the fee for the LABC is 100+VAT (for up to
£2000 quids worth of work) they are empowered in this matter to make
additional charges for the building notice. [Section 12 something or other ...]
The net result is that the LABC simply acts as an agency for sending
a registered sparky to inspect the work. There are five organisations
whose members may self certify. NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT ...

I wonder if that "Section 12" was what my Dad's LBA are
using to justify making me get my own Periodic Test doneas part of the BNA
completion and sign off?...

So effectively the law is use a registered sparky or pay for one through
the nose via the LABC.

I'd reckoned on 100+VAT + periodic (at say 150-200 for 3 bed house). Which
is quite expensive. Unless you submit a single BNA for all the work you
can think of for the next 10 years. Did your council have a view on one
BNA covering many small jobs over a protracted period of time?

This law is effectively unpoliceable until something goes wrong. If you
need to sell you might as well shell out a few hundred for a full test and
inspect ticket.

I agree. Someone is going to find a fault in their house, think "hmm, must
fix immediately, very trivial" and is going to just do it, notifiable or
not.

If there is other work that is notifiable taking place then it might well
be that a zealous LABC officer might be interested in Prat-P violations.

I'd been worrying about the reverse. Let's say I put in a shed supply and
dutifully write up a BNA. I'm happy if the BCO or agent is exacting about
the quality of my electrical installation, it is outside work, after all.

However, what I don't want to happen is him starting to take different
angles such as "BTW, your shed is too close to house/fence/etc, get rid
of it". It's been where it is for years, there's nowhere else to put it
and the neighbour doesn't mind at all.

Or finding Part L or Part M non compliance, neither of which I consider
safety related and thus don't really give a damn about.

This year I'm too busy to sort out registration but I can see I'll have
to bite the bullet sooner or later.

DIY has now become a subversive activity...

Hmm.

Tim

Customers can apply for exhemption from part L. Perhaps they can do the same for part P. What does part M relate to please?