JBG

Shall we start with the brown wire connected to the neutral terminal?
That in itself wouldn't stop the light working unless perhaps it is an
electronic transformer for low voltage lamps.

Where does wire 2 go? Do you have a two-way switch?

Andrew

Brown and blue wires just go into opposite side of a plastic
bulb-holding fixture that the bulb screws into. Not sure what you mean
by two-way switch - there is only one switch for this light?

Thanks,
JBG

That said - there is an unused switch high-up the wall for an extractor
fan which must have been removed before I moved in. I've tried
switching it on and off and using the light - but nothing happens.
Perhaps that's where wire 2 goes?

Cheers,
JBG