John Stumbles

Nigel Heather wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Crimping or freezing the microbore was the only way I could see it possibly
working but even then doesn't seem practical.

The pipes come out of the wall, not the floor. He would have to remove a
lot plasterboard to reveal sufficient pipe to freeze or crimp before the
capping point (and that will leave me with a big decourating job). Also I
assume he would have to freeze it a long way back to stop it from melting
when he solders the end cap on.

As for prices:

£130 total
£100 labour

If I were giving you a fixed price quote I probably would put it at £100
or so to allow a bit of insurance for myself against the gotchas that
can occur on a job. It _should_ be a matter of carrot-&-spudding the
header tank (or letting off the pressure on a sealed system) and
draining enough water out of the pipework to solder on end caps (after
draining & removing the rad itself, natch) then pushing the capped ends
back into the plasterboard & patching up. It _could_ end up needing to
drain the whole system to get the pipework dry enough to solder up, and
then it could be a pig with airlocks/crud inthe system to get to fill up
again. I normally do small jobs like this on a price-per-hour basis
which means the cost to the client would be less if everything goes to
plan, but if problems occur due to no fault of my own I don't lose out.
How do you pay for your dental treatment, car repairs etc? :-)

£30 for inhibitor, end caps and solder
(note that this does not include anything to make good the wall afterwards)

Bit steep on materials: I usually charge £15 for inhibitor which allows
me a few quid up on what I pay for it. As others have pointed out
inhibitor might not be required.
End caps & solder would be peanuts (£5 in bill terms :-)

I appreciate he's got to make a living but it's a lot more than I was
expecting - if he'd said £80 he would have got the job but as it is I'm
going to have a go myself.

Welcome to uk.d-i-y :-)