Owain

"John Hardaker" wrote
| I was quite interested in this topic as I also have been thinking
| of buying an MP3 player. There may be a feeling that this subject
| is out of topic; if that is the case where else could one post to?

news:uk.rec.audio is thataway, there are also several groups under
news:rec.audio but they tend to be US based

If they're not carried on plusnet's servers then ask nicely and they will
add them, or take your usenet business elsewhere.

| Is there a list somewhere of newsgroups and what they are
| intended for and how to get at them?

In Outlook Depress, the Newsgroups button on the toolbar will show all the
newsgroups available on your server. Otherwise http://groups.google.co.uk

| Why aren't unused groups closed?

Nobody really owns Usenet, so there is nobody to close them.

Owain