Joe

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Stanton wrote:

Well, it's a white paste, and although it was me that originally applied
it, a long time ago, I haven't a clue what it's made of. Does 'white'
mean it must be zinc not silicone (and therefore I shouldn't try white
spirit?!)

Thanks
David

Silicone heatsink compound is white because it contains metal
oxides to
help heat transfer.

The same oxides that used to be used on sticking plaster IIRC.

Anyway a solvent to dissove teh grease and dab it all of.

Meths or isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the grease without being too
hostile to other things, but you'll need to work hard to get the zinc
oxide out. It wasn't used as a pigment for nothing...
--
Joe