me

"N Cook" wrote in news:0oadnVQF7ObU9YLfRVn-
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the life span of an electrolytic capacitor?
In a 26 year-old piece of video equipment, should I replace all the
electrolytic caps with such ratings as 4.7uf @25v or just concentrate
on the high voltage ones like 10uf @ 450v.
Which ones are more prone to failure under normal use?

I looked on my repair1.htm file which has 88 vcr repair briefs,
only 5 faults concerned electrolytics. If 85 degree C caps
in screened ps then perhaps replace with 105 deg C. Otherwise
my mantra is
"If it aint broke , don't poke"

Often you'll find bad capacitors will leave a trace, most commonly burning
up resistors in PS filter circuits. Some capacitors are common failure
parts (some Bendix weather radar systems for example) and are routinely
replaced on any service call. After 26 years, if you are replacing
anything on it, you might as well replace the electrolytics also...