Art and Diane

I think you've had some good advice here, but I'll tell you my
experiences. I've moved the shop several times across country. The
best results have always been when I did most of the work myself - that
goes for the whole house including dishes, glasses, etc. Obviously I
couldn't handle the big stuff myself for long distance moves and I
strongly recommend you follow the advice given here that says BE THERE
when they move the shop. I usually break the tools down (fence rails
and wings off the TS for example) and try to get them packed in boxes.
You also haven't mentioned the small power and hand tools. Even though
they say they won't guarantee breakage for the boxes they don't pack, I
STRONGLY recommend you do it. I wrap them all in layers of newspaper
and fill in the voids with more crumpled paper. They'll just throw them
into a box and you can expect much breakage, dents and nicks.
There's an even bigger reason for pre-packing. I don't want to lose my
tools! Early moved seemed to result in much pilferage. When unpacking
one time, I had pulled out a few tools to start cutting open boxes and
putting things together. As the movers cleaned up, I noticed several of
my tools were missing and they seemed to be the ones the locally hired
helper had borrowed (I agree with the comment by a previous poster that
the drivers can be trusted). After I complained, the driver told the
helper several times to go find the tools, but he just wandered around.
It wasn't until I refused to sign the release that he went out to the
truck, reached under the seat and returned with the tools.
The moving company will reimburse you for lost items, but what are the
chances you can remember every single tool you own. You'll realize
something is missing several months later when you need it.
Good luck.

Art Learmonth

AndyB wrote:

I come to the oracles seeking the wisdom of the ages.

(heh)

More specifically.... I am planning on moving in a few months and I want
some advice on moving my larger stationary tools.

Can I trust a regular moving company to move power tools with precision
surfaces/mechanisms? I am most concerned about my planer, jointer,
contractor style table saw, and band saw. I also have a floor standing
drill press.

Can a regular mover handle these ok?
Are there special moving companies?
Is it really worth begging my friends to lug heavy metal for me?

Any and all advice appreciated. I have never done this before. Last time I
moved was BWW (before woodworking) and my tools fit in a couple of
cardboard boxes. How time flies and shops fill up.

AndyB