J Brown

I moved not too long ago, before I acquired some of my larger tools, but
if I were moving again today I'd do it the same way: self-service moving
(www.upack.com)I'm not affiliated, just a one-time satisfied customer,
YMMV, all disclaimers apply. They dropped a 28' trailer in my driveway
and then came and got it when we were done loading it. Same deal
unloading. It worked out to be less than half the cost of paying somebody
else to move us long distance, and our 4 BR household *pretty much* fit
into the trailer (after an impromptu yard sale). If you don't use the
whole trailer, you pay less.

As far as packing your goods, you're on your own with this method, and
frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. If something of mine gets
broken, I want to be the one who broke it. One man's junk, and all that
.... a lot of hand-me-downs that insurance can't replace.

So we wrapped just about EVERYTHING in industrial strength saran wrap
(the kind of stuff shippers wrap around pallets of just about anything
.... don't know where you'd find it; my dad knows some guys who drive
trucks and got some partial rolls). It's more of a pain to load the truck
because nothing slides, but then again ... nothing slides. I threw an old
quilt over my table saw and wrapped it in plastic, and it was good to go.
I used scrap lumber and tiedowns to improvise a series of bulkheads every
8' or so. The ride is rougher than U-Haul, and the trailer will get hot
inside, so plan accordingly.

Two notes of caution about the big folding ramp: 1. They expect you to
leave room for it in the trailer. 2. Its serrated nonskid design works
great on workboots, but not so much when you trip over it and land on
your knee ... and when you're moving, a trip to the ER and the insertion
of 11 staples can really interfere with your moving plans, especially if
you're one of these anal-retentive types who HAS to do everything
yourself Good luck with the move.

AndyB wrote in
:

I come to the oracles seeking the wisdom of the ages.

(heh)

More specifically.... I am planning on moving in a few months and I
want some advice on moving my larger stationary tools.

Can I trust a regular moving company to move power tools with
precision surfaces/mechanisms? I am most concerned about my planer,
jointer, contractor style table saw, and band saw. I also have a floor
standing drill press.

Can a regular mover handle these ok?
Are there special moving companies?
Is it really worth begging my friends to lug heavy metal for me?

Any and all advice appreciated. I have never done this before. Last
time I moved was BWW (before woodworking) and my tools fit in a couple
of cardboard boxes. How time flies and shops fill up.

AndyB