Grant Erwin

Steve W. wrote:
No hook, you use a belt shifter (basically a round piece of wood) and
slide the belt over to the other pulley. VERY common in line shaft
drives. Some equipment even came with a "belt shifter" on it, in those
cases it looks more like a belt guide mounted on a pivot with the belt
running between the top posts of the guide. When you wanted to stop the
tool you threw the belt to the loose pulley. Want to start it up again,
you grabbed the shifter and knocked the belt over to the tight pulley.
Doesn't take much to shift the belt as long as you have a good belt that
has a tight laced seam.

Ah, I'm getting it. The correct term is "fast and loose pulleys" -- a term
reminiscent of some women I've known .. other people mention "loose and tight
pulleys", same difference. If anyone's curious, see the page
http://www.enginads.com/extras/2003s...mes/read/47838

GWE